Demorest Dispute Resolution, LLC is pleased to offer the services of Mark S. Demorest to serve as an Arbitrator, Mediator, or Facilitator. Mark is widely respected for his exceptional analytical skills, and ability to quickly identify critical issues. His sensitivity and calming demeanor make him particularly well suited for resolving emotionally charged, complex cases. Mark utilizes a common sense and practical approach to problem solving which, when combined with his calm manner, puts the parties at ease to allow them to work through difficult negotiations.
Mark has completed the 40 Hour Mediator Training Program through The Institute of Continuing Legal Education, approved by the Michigan Supreme Court and is a Member of The Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) Section of the State Bar of Michigan. Mark is also on the list of approved civil mediators for Oakland County Circuit Court
Mark serves as a case evaluator for the business court division of Wayne County Circuit Court. In 2013, Michigan business courts were established to handle business-related litigation.
Mark Demorest has nearly 30 years of experience in a variety of matters, including, but not limited to: civil litigation; real estate; corporate law; mergers, acquisitions, & dissolution issues; insurance; hospitality law; entertainment law; and employment law.
- J.D., University of Michigan Law School 1983
- A.B., Harvard College 1979
- International Society of Primerus Law Firms, Past Chair of Primerus Business Law Institute; Past Member of Primerus Leadership Council
- State Bar of Michigan
- Member of The Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) Section of the State Bar of Michigan
- Member of The Academy of Hospitality Industry Attorneys
- Michigan Super Lawyer 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 (Business & Transactions)
- D Business, Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit, Real Estate Law, 2015
- D Business, Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit, Business Litigation, 2012
- D Business, Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit, Condemnation and Eminent Domain, 2011
- D Business, Top Lawyer in Metro Detroit, Business & Transactions, 2010
- Who’s Who in America
- Who’s Who in American Law
- AV rated in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, which is the highest possible rating and indicates that he has been rated by his peers as having the highest level of legal ability and ethical standards
Areas of Expertise
Business and Commercial
Mark’s experience stretches across many industries and jurisdictions. Mark has litigated cases concerning shareholder oppression, contract disputes partnership dissolutions, fraud, unfair competition, trade secrets, equipment leases, insurance, employment, non-compete agreements, and healthcare and medical practices.
Mark has litigated many real estate issues, including complex real estate litigation. Mark is a leading expert in inverse condemnation law, and is also well versed in eminent domain and condemnation law. He is also an expert in matters involving commercial and residential properties, including sales, leases, lease options, broker liability, easements and boundaries, land use, and zoning.
Mark has represented both employers and employees in various employment-related issues. Mark has litigated cases involving discrimination, whistleblower, wrongful termination, non-compete agreements, retaliation, and other employment related issues.